Monday 16 July 2007

I See why you say that

I heard a put-down on the radio tonight, one spoken by a government Minister. It went something like this

"Your opinion is so full of Conspiracy Theories, it would shame a juvenile anorak"

The problem is that it is highly unlikely that a political party would ever adopt the kind of position that a juvenile anorak would take.

What she effectively told me as I listened to her, was that she is unable to comprehend an opinion apart from hers.

Why can't people be polite and say "I understand why you think that, but I believe you are wrong and this is why..."?

I meet people every day who would rather insult someone for being different and wrong rather than actually understand what is being said, why it is being said and what can be learned from it.

No comments: