Tuesday 7 August 2007

Dot Mac Looks A Bit More Useful

Thanks to recent announcements from Apple, their .Mac service looks like it could actually be useful by the end of the week!

Don't get me wrong, you still don't get your money's worth, IMHO, but I can now use it for stuff which actually means something. Whereas in the past all I could put on there were some token websites and a temporary store for e-mail, I can now use that Backup software and create an online backup of my stuff.

Going from 1Gb to 10Gb is a great thing, though I never like to see transfer limits. I guess I'll have to live with that and be confident that I'm nowhere near likely to use up my current transfer limit, let alone the new one.

You may be asking why I signed up for it in the first place if I'm so down on the value it offers, and to that I can only say convenience. I have family down the motorway who use an Apple Mac (mini) and it helps to be able to have everything in one place for management. Plus, iWeb does offer some cool stuff (which I've been able to to put to use here). Worth the money? Maybe not, but it's Ok and I live in the hope that more improvements are on their way.

Among the other announcements, I am kind of excited about the iLife '08 suite and iWork '08 looks pretty nice too. I like the look and feel of Apple products in the way it delivers useful functionality in an interface that's like a house where you feel at home the moment you walk through the door. In contrast, Windows makes me feel like someone who's walking into a house where there's a big dog barking and the sofas are impractically big, pretty but big (you ever sat on one of those bigass sofas where you could easily fall between the cushions and find an entire universe of new life forms and civilisations?)

What I really looking forward to, however, is Leopard. I'm already saving my pretty scarce pennies to get me a copy when it comes out.

No comments: