Wednesday 8 August 2007

Quickoffice Nightmare

I'm having a nightmare with the support at Quickoffice (an Office suite for Smartphones). This is what has happened;

  1. I installed the version for which I have a download and it worked great. I entered my license code and that worked great (well, kind of - I hate how Quickoffice accepts my license key but KEEPS THE MENU OPTION THERE TO ENTER IT AGAIN).
  2. I run the Quickoffice Update Manager thing and it says "Hey, you can have a free upgrade!". I think "W00T! Yay!" and ask for the download to start.
  3. The download starts and the install kicks in, and it fails. I check the Knowledge base and it appears that you must install the software to the Phone Memory and not the Memory Card (like most people would do). So I uninstall, reinstall and it goes through.
  4. I run the software and it crashes with a 'BIF 4' error.
  5. I contact QuickOffice customer support who reply with an e-mail telling me to format my phone and my memory card. That's a good idea, I figure, after all, it beats the 'turn it off and turn it back on again' solution that falls so sweetly from the lips of many an IT expert. Heck, what kind of software is this that you have to jump through so many hoops just to get something to work!?
  6. I reformat my phone and my memory card and reinstall. I run the update and it installs.
  7. I run the software and this time, I do not get an error message. Nope, nothing. That's right. Nothing, not even the application because something else has gone wrong but it can't be arsed to tell me what it is.
I am not at all impressed with QuickOffice. It isn't the Customer Support that sucks as much as their software if reformatting the device is necessary to get it to work.

UPDATE: I've just had a reply from QuickOffice asking me if by resetting the device and formatting the card I am actually resetting the device and formatting the card. No, I'm actually waving my magic magnet over the screen scree and the card - could that be it? (I'm being sarcastic)

No comments: