Friday 10 August 2007

iLife '08 - First Impressions

I've gotten around to installing iLife '08 and so far, I'm really happy. It seems that Apple have finally made an effort to make their flagship multimedia applications useful to their users, and with a half decent iDisk capacity, I feel I can finally make some use of the tool.

I'm not into making music, that't not my bag. I listen to music, so GarageBand doesn't quite float my boat. I gave it a shot and tried the whole Magic thing and it was fun, but since I'm as musical as a testicle, it wasn't go
ing to go very far.

As far as video is concerned, a couple of YouTube videos is all I've ever done so I've not yet got hold of the iMove thing. What I have been digging though is the iPhoto and iWeb enhancements.

The whole iPhoto image manipulation thing has changed and the UI is a little clunky in one or two areas (for example, how exactly do I save changes?) but there facilities and functionality has been improved vastly, from controls for shading and lighting to a totally excellent Event-based organisation system for your photos.

Cool! Now you have album
s, tags and events by which you can make sense of your photographs. Can't go wrong.

iWeb has finally got all the stuff it should have had in the first place, including a facility for inserting HTML code. What this means to me is that I can now use an iFrame to show my Blogger blog (this one) in an iWeb page.

I can add some really, really cool photo albums direct from iPhoto using the Photo Gallery which means I don't even have to start up iPhoto to update the photo galleries.

You think that's cool? Wait until you hear this one; The photo gallery is a cross-platform web-based application that has optional password protection. It shows your galleries using a very similar interface to iPhoto (you have to see the image scrolling on the album icon!) allowing you to share selected albums with everyone or specific individuals. Not only that, if you have the right permissions, you can add to that album, from wherever you are, from whatever platform you're using, without having to start up iPhoto, iWeb or iAnything! How insanely cool is that!?

You can see my photo gallery either by clicking on Photography on my main website (www.rcopeh.com) or you can go to http://gallery.mac.com/rcopeh where you can see the gallery of albums and choose which album you want to view.

I really am well happy with the iLife '08 suite and to think that you get all that software (music making, video making, DVD making, photo albums, web page making) for only £55 is breathtaking. And don't even get me started on iWork which is the same price and offers some staggering functionality with the new Numbers application. These may be my first impressions of iLife '08 and I'm sure that I'm going to find some frustrating 'feature' or annoyance but hey, so far, this stuff is fantastic and I'm loving what it can let me do with minimum effort and maximum creativity.

No comments: