Saturday 11 August 2007

Two Graves and a Dozen Gardens

I took the opportunity today to visit two ancient burial sites and, in the process, stumbled across some beautiful gardens.

The first burial site was Tinkinswood and then I went on to St. Lythans. These places always blow my mind, to think that somehow, people from around 4,000BC were putting these together to commemorate the death of their fellow human beings. I don't think I can imagine what they thought they were doing such is the distance between them and me. Heck, we go on today about the culture gap between The West and the Middle East, but these guys may well have been my ancestors and I'm even farther away from them!

I'm thinking that the only thing that can possibly be in common between them and me is death - it awaits us all. Here is their mark, mine is to come. Could they begin to understand my lifestyle with electricity, cars and mobile phones? Could I even begin to understand their values? Did they really live in an age where death is more revered than life? Could their values teach us something about making the most of life by preparing for death?

I then saw signs for Dyffryn Gardens and decided to call in and see what it was about.



It was a serene experience. Sure, the house was being renovated but the gardens were stunning (and that's without considering the redheaded woman ;-)

I loved the different compartments to the gardens with different moods, atmospheres, colours and ways to relax. It really was a place for a brain to rest and relax. The green was so soothing on the eyes I felt I might not be able to leave! Well worth the £6 it cost to get in and I can't wait for Autumn so that I can see all those greens turn to gold.

I do feel I haven't made the most of my two weeks of work, but I think that this is as great a crown as it will ever get, and I always like discovering a place that I can't wait to visit again.

No comments: