Friday 11 April 2008

Boy, Girl or Don't Want To Know?

I know that there are people who may be reading this and thinking that I'm talking about them when I say this stuff but you know that I'm not talking about you because you're different and you're not a bad person.

No, the bad people are the people who make some kind of 'one with nature' pact to not know the gender of their unborn baby. They're the ones who say "Oh, we don't want to know because it'll spoil the surprise" but what they really want to say is that they've got this kind of purity that means they're not going to allow doctors to tell them something that only nature should tell them.

It's like giving birth is something so sacred that they're too afraid to allow science to tell them something so natural. I'm not often on the side of scientists, but this time, I'm thinking it's just hypocritical to take this 'nature never meant for us to know until the birth' attitude when they're doing all sorts of other 'nature never meant...' things to the baby;

I'm sure nature never meant for ultrasonic waves to be bounced off the baby's bonce while yet unborn. I'm sure nature never meant for pickles and ice cream to be so readily available for those crazy cravings and I'm sure that nature never meant for it to have taken this long for you to have conceived anyway, unless that little rubber thing just fell off a tree and landed en penis with nobody noticing.

I get the Christians saying that they want to leave it to God. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian and I believe the Bible, but I also read in the Bible that whenever someone important was going to be born, God wasn't shy in saying what brand of human the baby was going to be. You didn't get angels and prophets saying "Behold, thou art with child but fear not, the surprise will be spoilêd not and I shall nay reveal unto the the gender of thy son.... .... D'oh!"

There's a whole bunch of things nature never meant for us to do yet we do it. We travel at 70 miles per hour down the motorway, we get space robots to tell us how to get to the shops and we use the internet to have face-to-face conversations with people on the other side of the world. So why not find out? As long as science isn't making minotaurs, go ahead and use what's there before the West blows itself up in a mixture of liberal oppression of common sense thinking.

May was well.

No comments: