Wednesday 23 April 2008

Carphone Warehouse Says: You should have accepted our spam if you want a rebate

Carphone Warehouse has kindly offered to refund £100 to those who bought an 8GB iPhone within a month of the price being dropped. I was among the number of these people, so I checked with the adorable company to check that I was going to get the refund.

Now, don't get me wrong. I see this refund as money-for-nothing since the price I paid is the price it cost and it's just my tough luck if I missed it. What I find interesting however is the criteria specified by Carphone Warehouse  for eligibility. The e-mail I received from Carphone Warehouse Customer Support stated the following;
In regards to this offer being offered relating to the Iphone there are 
the following terms and conditions.

- You must have purchased your Iphone at the higher price on or after 
the 17th March
-
You must have provided permission for Direct Marketing and other 
information
to be sent to you
at the time when you purchased your 
Iphone.
(their spelling, my emphasis)

What this effectively tells me is that if I wanted to receive this rebate (which I didn't know what coming), I should have agreed to receiving Direct Marketing from Carphone Warehouse and Other Information.

I call that spam.

No comments: