Friday 20 July 2007

No TV, Thank You

Since moving, I've come across people looking at me like I have three heads as they exclaim, "You don't have a telly!?"

Don't get me wrong, there are TV shows I love (like Doctor Who and, ermm, Doctor Who) so I'm not trying to make a religious 'I am more righteous than you' statement, I just want to try and live a simple life and cutting out wasteful source of 'noise' can only be a good thing and anything I really want to watch can wait until it comes out on DVD.

I must admit to coming home and wishing, from time to time, that I had a telly, but once I put on some music I start to relax in a way that feels oddly deeper and more fulfilling than when in front of a telly.

Think about those hours that human evolution has brought us to, hours of switching off our brains as crap pours into them from the glowing boxes in the corners of our living rooms. Is that a good thing?

When I want news, entertainment, music or anything, I can listen to the radio or pocasts while doing something else, or I can interact with content of my choosing on the internet. By reducing the number of channels through which rubbish can travel, I can cut the amount of rabbish and make fuller use of the channels I am keeping open.

All I want is a simple life.

:-)

No comments: